Most people go through a variety of emotions after being involved in a motor vehicle accident of any type, and it’s quite understandable if they go through moments of shock and confusion. It is also not uncommon for accident victims to be unclear about what to do after an accident takes place. That said, you should speak to a Charlotte auto accident lawyer right away if you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident because there are a number of things that should be done immediately following the accident that might enhance your odds of recovering full compensation for the injuries sustained.
As a general rule of thumb, it is highly recommended that all accident victims follow the steps below after the occurrence of an accident.
- Get out of the roadway, if possible, but stay on the scene. Try not to impede traffic, and whatever you do, don’t leave the scene because doing so could lead to criminal charges under the laws of the state of North Carolina.
- Call 911. Even if the other driver says it’s not necessary, you should still call the police.
- Check for injuries. Anyone who has suffered injuries should not be moved (unless the vehicle is on fire) because doing so could lead to more injuries or worsen the current injury. And if you have suffered an injury, just about all Charlotte auto accident attorneys will tell you to seek medical attention right away.
- Be sure to get contact information for all other parties and witnesses. Obtain their full names, addresses, and home, work, and cell phone numbers.
- Jot down notes. Speak with witnesses and make note of everything they say and claim to have seen. Also write down what you remember about the accident, including what might have caused the accident.
Contact the Automobile Accident Law Firm of Bice Law
At Bice Law we can help you determine who we believe to be at fault in the accident. We will look to a number of sources to help you determine liability including but not limited to statements made at the scene by witnesses and parties, the investigating officer’s accident report, and depending on the case, possibly accident reconstruction experts, and highway design or maintenance experts.We serve families across both North and South Carolina. If you have been seriously injured in a car accident, take the first step to protect your legal rights – contact the personal injury firm of Bice Law today by calling 877-BICE-877 or submit an online request to get a free consultation with a car accident attorney. Results are how we measure success – we’ve built a strong reputation both in and out of the courtroom, and we’ll put our experience and expertise to work on your behalf.