If another driver’s negligence leaves you injured in a car accident, you’re no doubt feeling disoriented – at best. Knowing how best to proceed can help protect your rights and help ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled. If you’ve been injured by another driver’s negligence, work closely with an experienced North Carolina/South Carolina personal injury lawyer to help ensure that you’re adequately compensated.
At the Scene of the Accident
The top priority at any car accident is ensuring that everyone who needs emergency medical attention receives it. After that’s been attended to and if you’re able to proceed, the next order of business is gathering pertinent information at the scene of the accident, including:
- Collecting the negligent driver’s name, insurance information, and contact information
- Gathering eyewitness testimony and contact information
- Obtaining a copy of the police report
- Taking extensive photos and videos at the scene – smartphones make this extremely convenient – that depict the cars involved (including both vehicles’ license plates), the accident site, any mitigating circumstances such as a slippery or poorly maintained roadway, and anything else that you think might pertain to your case
- Jotting down everything you remember about the accident in as much detail as you can muster – the upheaval of a car accident can quickly make your memories foggy, and this written account can help you keep your thoughts straight
Dealing with the Insurance Company
When it comes to the insurance company that you file your claim with, it’s important to recognize that you will need to provide them with a good deal of information and documentation. The second point to keep in mind is that the insurance company is not necessarily on your side. Insurance powerhouses are in the business of turning massive profits, and they’re able to do this by minimizing settlements and even by denying claims outright. Working closely with an experienced personal injury attorney allows you to attend the important business of reaching your fullest recovery while your attorney skillfully negotiates with the insurance company on your behalf.
The Insurance Company’s Stance
The fact is that insurance companies often do their level best to minimize or quash claims, and they generally do so by:
- Claiming that you are either partially or fully responsible for the accident that caused you to be injured
- Denying that you have adequate documentation to support your claim of injury and loss
- Denying that you’ve brought the claim with the appropriate insurance company
If You’ve Been Injured by Another Motorist’s Negligence, an Experienced North Carolina/South Carolina Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
If another driver’s negligence leaves you injured, attorney Justin Bice at Bice Law – with offices in South Carolina and North Carolina – is prepared to help. Mr. Bice is a formidable personal injury attorney with the experience, knowledge, and skill to fight for your claim’s best possible resolution. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 877-BICE-877 today.