Charlotte, NC Free Consultation Lawyer
When you have experienced a personal injury, on top of your pain, you’re likely worrying about finances. Perhaps you will be out of work for a while; you may even have mounting medical bills or other expenses. But you can receive compensation.
While it’s hard to put a dollar amount on things such as pain, by awarding damages your personal injury attorney will attempt to rectify the injury to place you, as the injured party, into the same position you would have been in if you had not suffered the injury.
Types of compensation you may receive if awarded damages for a personal injury include:
- Reimbursement for Medical Costs: In most cases, you can expect to receive compensation for past, present and even future medical bills related to your injury.
- Compensation for Lost Earnings: If you missed work due to your injury — even time away from work for doctor’s appointments or other medical appointments — you are entitled to compensation. Not only can you claim past loss of income, but you can also seek future earnings you might have earned if not for the injury — a damage known as “loss of earning capacity.”
- Property Damage Reparations: Repair or replacement of property that was either damaged or destroyed may be awarded according to the fair market value of the item.
- Compensation for Disability and Disfigurement: If the injury leaves you permanently disabled or physically disfigured, you may be entitled to receive monetary damages.
- Award for Emotional Distress: While pain, suffering and emotional distress — both present and future — are hard to put a dollar figure on, you may receive compensation in many cases. Emotional distress covers problems such as anxiety, sleeplessness and fear.
- Punitive Damages: In some instances, you may be awarded punitive damages — monetary awards intended to punish the defendant for his or her actions. This type of compensation is less common, since it is only awarded when the defendant acted with evil intent, complete recklessness or extreme indifference to your well-being and rights.
Contact the Personal Injury Law Firm of Bice Law
The personal injury firm of Bice Law will examine your case to determine the type and amount of damages that your injury warrants, including payments for medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and any permanent disability. We’ll determine whether an out-of-court settlement or trial is the best strategy to obtain maximum benefits for you or your family. If you have suffered injury or harm because of someone else’s actions, take the first step to protect your legal rights – contact the personal injury firm of Bice Law serving both North and South Carolina. You only have a limited time after your injury to file a claim, so act quickly. Call 877-BICE-877 today or submit an online request to get a free consultation with a personal injury attorney. We serve families across both North Carolina and South Carolina. Results are how we measure success – we’ve built a strong reputation both in and out of the courtroom, and we’ll put our experience and expertise to work on your behalf.