Rock Hill SC Boat Accident Lawyer
Spring is now upon us here in South Carolina and summer is just around the corner. Many of us are planning weekends camping, road trips to the beach and cook outs with friends. Keep in mind that during these times we need to think about safety. While out on the water things can become dangerous very quickly, keep these tips from the SCDNR in mind.
Before you Leave
- Download DNR Float plan (Adobe PDF file), fill it out and make sure you leave the plans with a responsible individual.
- Check the weather.
- Let someone know where you are going.
- Gather all lifesaving devices. Make sure they are in good serviceable condition and are the correct size for all passengers (especially children).
- Check the fuel and the battery charge.
- Make sure lights are in good working condition on the boat and trailer.
- Make sure fire extinguisher is readily accessible and in good serviceable condition.
- Put the plug in.
- Connect trailer safety chains to tow vehicle.
- Carry a cell phone if possible.
On the Water
- Know the aids to navigation and buoy system in your areas.
- Don’t operate the boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- When operating sailboats be aware of overhead power lines and wires.
- If someone falls overboard, throw something that will float (Personal Floating Device (PFD), raft or cooler).
- All boats approaching from the right have the right of way.
- Always anchor from the bow of the boat and pull the anchor before leaving.
- If boat capsizes, stay with the boat.
- If caught in a storm, head into the wind, put on PFD’s and keep passengers low in the boat.
- Cold water boaters such as duck hunters, fishermen, sailors beware! Cold water kills.
- Call Operation Game Thief (1-800-922-5431) to report boating, fishing or hunting violations.
Contact the Boating Accident Law Firm of Bice Law
If you have been injured while on the water or working in a capacity covered by Maritime Law, the personal injury firm of Bice Law will examine your case to determine the type and amount of damages that your injury warrants, including payment for medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and any permanent disability. We serve families across both North and South Carolina. You only have a limited time after your injury to file a claim, however, so you must act quickly. Contact the personal injury firm of Bice Law today by calling 877-BICE-877 or submit an online request to get a free consultation with a boat accident lawyer. Results are how we measure success – we’ve built a strong reputation both in and out of the courtroom, and we’ll put our experience and expertise to work on your behalf.